Gary True represents high net worth clients in estate planning and wealth preservation, including asset protection, as well as assisting other individuals with wills, trusts, and related matters. As part of his estate planning practice, Gary advises clients regarding the creation and management of family-owned entities to hold and protect wealth. Gary also represents many family-owned companies, other privately-held businesses, and their owners in many tax and business law matters, including company formation, buy-sell agreements, business succession planning, business acquisitions, and mergers and sales.
Gary has been a speaker at numerous seminars sponsored by organizations such as the Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, the Illinois State Bar Association, the Missouri Society of Certified Public Accountants, the Estate Planning Council of St. Louis, and many other professional and civic organizations. He has spoken on new tax legislation, estate planning, and various other business law and tax topics. He has also written articles published in the St. Louis Business Journal on topics such as estate taxes and planning and proposed legislation. Gary has testified before a committee of the Illinois Legislature regarding proposed Illinois estate tax reform.
Gary received an LL.M. (Master of Laws) in Taxation from Washington University School of Law in 2008 and his J.D., summa cum laude, from St. Louis University Law School in 1991. Gary also received Master of Business Administration and Bachelor of Science degrees from Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville. Gary was a partner in a major St. Louis Certified Public Accounting firm prior to becoming an attorney.
Gary is admitted to practice in all state courts in Illinois, Missouri, and Wisconsin, as well as in the United States Tax Court, the United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri, the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court.Show More
- Washington University School of Law (LL.M. in Taxation, 2008)
- St. Louis University Law School (J.D., 1991, summa cum laude)
- Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville (B.S. and MBA)
- Missouri, 1991
- Illinois, 1992
- Wisconsin, 2011
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States Tax Court
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- All Illinois, Missouri, and Wisconsin State Courts
Professional Associations & Memberships
- The Missouri Bar
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis